Sometimes, a targeted gentle stretch before bed is all you need to release physical tension and ease the mind. Here are a few relaxing stretches to try:
- Child’s Pose: Kneel on your bed or floor, toes together, knees comfortably apart. Slowly lower your upper body towards your thighs, forehead resting gently on the surface. Take slow, deep breaths, and extend your arms out in front of you.
- Figure Four Stretch: Lie on your back, knees bent, feet on the bed. Cross your right ankle over your left knee. Gently pull your left thigh towards your chest until you feel a stretch in your right glute and outer hip. Hold, breathe, and then switch sides.
- Spinal Twist: Lying on your back, knees bent, gently rock your knees side to side, feeling a relaxing twist through your lower spine. Continue for a few breaths on each side.
Online Resources: Videos for Guided Relaxation
Many seniors find these resources extremely helpful in guiding them through sleep-friendly practices:
- Yoga for Seniors with Adriene: An extensive library of gentle yoga sessions designed with aging bodies in mind. (https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene)
- Senior Shape Fitness: Offers simple at-home workout videos specific to senior needs, including calming bedtime stretches. (<invalid URL removed>)
Remember to consult your doctor or a physical therapist if you experience significant pain during stretches or are new to regular exercise.